Wednesday 18 November 2009

London to Constantinople-The Paris to Budapest leg

From Paris East or Paris Est., if you prefer, I took the overnight train to Munich. I found myself in a compartment with 5 girls, under the stern gaze of the old german coach attendant who is like a babushka from a Russian train. I got almost kicked out of the compartment, when I told the Oriental girls that I thought they are from China(they are from S.Korea and were amused), and the Polish girl that I thought she is from Germany(she was furious to be called a German). I apologised, saying I never met a Korean girl before, and that all Europeans looked the same to me. (is that racist?). Then it was my turn to be furious when the Polish girl said she saw Slumdog Millionaire. I mean what is it with people? I mean can you say I have seen Schindlers List when I meet Germans? Anyway, the german train was efficiently run and was a pleasure. On the French, German border the train stopped in a small station, for about half an hour, and with just two, three people on the platform, it reminded me of why I love train journeys. The solitude and companionship at the same time. The ability to jump off and on, to buy different food from different places, different countries, on different platforms. It is like having a peek into the lives of the people in that small place. We are like guests or intruders into their lives, depending on how you look at it.
Munich was as expected an efficient, no-nonsense German city. Just outside the station, I found a coffee shop around a corner, and sat there watching the locals go about. I particularly loved it when I saw the locals hurrying to their jobs, while I sat drinking my coffee, and eating my german sandwich.
Within no time, I caught the super fast Austrian train from Munich to Budapest. The train was overcrowded like an Indian train, and I was happy that I have a seat actually. Austria, was beautiful, and I had to literally stop myself from joking about Joseph Fritzl with the Austrians on board.Budapest, though was a shock. It was my first glimpse of a former communist Easter European country, and I was astonished by the desolation and squalor. After Munich, I just had some biscuits, and as I came out of Budapest station and walked into a local cafe, I found out to my astonishment that they don't use Euros. They use hungarian forints, and there were no money exchanges anywhere in sight. Behold the hunger of a man who doesn't have any forints. But, quite happily for me, after some searching, I found a KFC around the corner which accepted Visa. So I paid for my meal in thousands of forints, and realised that if I lived in hungary, my monthly food bill will be in the millions(of forints of course). The best part was there was Wi Fi in the restaurant which was not locked, and I logged right in.
The real train travel adventure started from Budapest.........

No comments:

Post a Comment