Monday 24 August 2009

Day 1 and 2-Amsterdam

I have seen places with lots of sex, and places with lots of drugs, but never anyplace with such a mixture of too much sex and too many drugs.
Firstly though, I got down at Hook of Holland, which is one of those remote looking ports, with a railway station that has one platform. So I caught this train to Rotterdam from which I caught a train to Amsterdam central. I have to tell you, I loved the trains in Holland. The train that took me into Amsterdam was a double decker train which is a first for me, and it was cool. And Amsterdam was lovely or dirty depending on which parts you are talking about.
I managed to find my pre-booked hotel with the help of my iPhone. Oh! What would I do without my lovely phone. Hotels in Amsterdam are very expensive due to all the British guys thronging it's streets in search of hedonistic pleasures. So all I could get on my meager budget was a bed in an 8 bed room share. This again was a first for me. It was very weird for me to share a room with a mom with her son and daughter, a Chinese looking American girl and the rest were Swedish guys. It did not help that there were around 120 empty beer cans under their beds, there were hundreds of FHMs on their beds, and they were shouting "we love Sweden"( even the girl, weirdly). So I dropped my bag, and headed into the craziest evening in my life. Amsterdam has a good tram system and I got a 24 hour smart card.
Right, if you are in Amsterdam, and it is your first evening there, where would you go? Yes, I went to check out the world famous red-light district, though it was a bit embarrasing to ask people for directions to the red-light district, particularly when you are alone and are an Indian. But, I managed, and wow!! What do I find, scantily dressed girls standing in windows, and the streets full with people. With Chinese and European tourists with their families, and British guys drinking in the pubs. One red-light district that is.
I had a horrible meal in a KFC, and went back to the room, which was quite happily empty. So went to bed.
The next morning took a boat trip across Amsterdam's wonderful canals, went to the Flower Market, and did the usual tourist trail. If I tell you, I got bored by 3 in the afternoon, you can imagine how little the city has to offer. So had a meal in a cafè full of people smoking weed, and headed to the station to catch the high speed Thalys to Paris.

P.S- I know I said I will post everyday. But, you know how lazy I am. So the story will come out slowly. And, I promise an incredible story. I am back in London by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment