Thursday 10 September 2009

Paris 2


You are Niel Armstrong, and for days and months you planned your
trip to the moon. But once there all you can think of is the jam
doughnut you had before you left the earth. That is how I felt on the
Tour de Eiffel, or for the novice Eiffel tower. So, my first proper
day in Paris. Obviously I started looking for the Eiffel tower. So I
stepped into a supermarket, bought a French version of an innocent
smoothie ( which tasted like donkey's piss, not that I tasted it), and
asked a Chinese girl behind the counter which Metro station to get off
for the tower. The best part is, she didn't know. So she asked a fellow
check out girl in Chinese. She didn't know. Then she asked a security
guy who didn't know. Then I was like " alright don't bother, don't you
worry. I will find it somehow".
So, I managed to find the Trocadero station, from which I could
see the Eiffel tower. Lovely! And huge! So went up to it through the
Trocadero dodging people trying to sell me miniature towers in all
sizes and materials. The ticket counters were busy as one can expect.
They were selling tickets for the Tour de Eiffel which to be frank I
thought was a tour of the Eiffel. Can someone please tell the French
that a tower is 'tower', not tour. 3 queues and 4 hours later I was on
top of the tower amidst kissing couples. That is when I realised that
you usually go onto the tower with someone you love very much and you
kiss them. So!! I tried kissing myself. Obviously not very successful,
I started to get down onto the solid ground. But all the time when I
was up on the tower, I had only one thought. I have just seen the
movie 'G.I.Joe-Rise of the Cobra' before I went to Paris. In the movie
terrorists blow up the tower which falls across the river Seine. I
kept thinking, if it happens now, where exactly will I land, and will
I be able to get off the tower without using the steps. I also had a
strange longing to throw my phone from the top, and see how it lands
on the street below. The only thing that stopped me was the
realisation that life is not a film, and there won't be a camera
sweeping down along with the phone to see how it lands. So, I promised
myself that if I ever made a film, I will have my CGI team work on
that scene. Of a phone dropping from the Eiffel tower.Mental!
Then to a self-designed tour ( an English tour) of the Paris
Metro and the shopping district and back to the hotel for a long
nights sleep.

2 comments:

  1. DROP YOUR PHONE??!?!?!?! I'm in chok....! That you can even think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete