Wednesday 23 September 2009

Paris 3

Any one who has used the Becks's tube map knows that, that would be
the best design and geographical train maps for a city are too
clustered and complicated to read. But the Metro guys in Paris can not
be bothered. The fact that the lines are numbered from 1 to 14 as
opposed to names like in London makes it all the more confusing. And,
if some of the lines are shades of very similar looking blue, that
would be called metro hell. I went through that hell and survived.
So the second day to Louvre or as they call it 'Musee du
Louvre'. Louvre makes the magnificient British museum look like a walk
in the park. It is ENORMOUS. If one wanted to go around the museum
looking at every object he would grow old by the time he is finished.
Frankly, I did not feel like I went for a walk in a museum, but for
working out. Monalisa was a delight, though could not get a proper
look at her thanks to all the Chinese taking her pictures. What I have
noticed in this tour is that what is important for the people is that
they want to show their friends or family what a great time they had.
It is not about having a great time. It is not about going onto Eiffel
tower and feeling like on top of the world, or enjoying the beauty of
Monalisa, but about showing your friends how much you enjoyed it. I
bet half the tourists I have seen on this trip have seen the places
around them only through a view finder.
There are some magnificient Napoleon's apartments in the
Louvre. They, more than anything can be show pieces for why there was
a French revolution.
After a tiring 5 hours, I got sick of museums, and after my
third break, I vowed that I will never set foot in another museum in
my life and stepped out onto the left bank.
After a beautiful stroll along the left bank, on a beautiful
sunny day, listening to Ricky Gervais podcast and laughing my heart
out, I called it a day with some lovely French food.

No comments:

Post a Comment